Thursday, January 8, 2009

Semester Project Ideas

I have two different routes I can take for my semester project. First, I could focus on my interest in corporate communications and come up with a way to incorporate a digital remix, video, Second Life and other avenues of visual communication. However, I can anticipate the question that immediately follows this assertion... "Corporate Communications is so broad, what area do you want to focus on?" Well, that's where I am stuck. My initial thought is creating my own corporation from scratch and coming up with visual deliverables including a digital remix, news releases, perhaps a company newsletter, a video and other types of internal and external communications. However, I would truly benefit from brainstorming and hearing others' ideas on how I can make this initial thought become a reality.

My second option would be to branch outside of corporate communications, and take a more exciting approach to this project. I could do something I've always wanted to do, but I know that the only real chance of me doing this particular task would be for a project of this nature. I adore the Food Network, and I would love to be able to cook like Paula, Giada, Sandy, and Rachael, but let's be honest, who really has that kind of time? Especially when you work part time, and you're in graduate school full time? So, I've always longed for a Food Network show where there is a chef/person who works a 9-5 job and then comes home to prepare meals much like the previously mentioned chefs do. Rachael Ray boasts of 30-minute meals, but I've tried them, and they are not 30 minutes. I spend at least 30 minutes in the grocery store just searching for the ingredients! Therefore, my intent is to create a Food Network show for people who work 40 hours+ a week who want to cook, but may not necessarily be able to prepare meals that take hours of preparation. I will also teach smart cooking strategies including preparing meals on Saturdays and Sundays and freezing them, or making the slow cooker your new best friend. My digital remix could be a cookbook of sorts with pictures, recipes, and smart cooking tips. Vizzie McAndrews, my SL avatar (Vizzie is short for visual comm), will be the typical Corporate America wife and mother who works 40+ hours a week, but still manages to put a decent, healthy meal on the table!

Obviously, my second option is much more involved and directed than my first option. However, I want to choose the option that will make the most sense for my career interests and goals. If option one is the route I need to go, that's fine. However, if I can achieve my objective and still have fun, I would like to go with option two. Thoughts?

Perhaps Vizzie could join the ranks of these chefs aka a few of my personal heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment