Thursday, February 19, 2009

Scientific Looking and Global Visual Culture

The "Scientific Looking, Looking at Science" chapter discusses Gunther von Hagens' Body Worlds project. The exhibition is a contemporary example of medical display. Dead bodies have undergone a preservation process called plastination and they're put on display in various poses. The notorious director of the project "assumes the role of both a scientist and an artist" (p. 354). The exhibit is viewed by most as extremely controversial. Some claim that the bodies are cadavers of Chinese prisoners. Others suggest the exhibit affirms traditional gender stereotypes, with male figures in active scenarios, such as a soccer game, and the female figures shown in traditional states, such as pregnancy.

I had the opportunity to view the Body Worlds exhibit at the Discovery Place in Charlotte, NC. I knew from early on in my life that the medical field was not for me. My stomach turns anytime my friends who are doctors or nurses discuss any medical experiences, terminology, procedures, or conditions. I cannot express enough how much the medical field and everything related to it is NOT for me! So, going to this exhibit was a huge step for me. I dreaded going to the exhibit, but all of the cool kids were doing it, so I decided to go too. The exhibit actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Mainly because everything I saw seemed so fake-looking. I had to remind myself that what I saw before my eyes was actually real, and at one point in time, a living human being.

The most disturbing part of the exhibit was the childbirth/pregnancy room. There was a warning/disclaimer placed outside of the room that informed people of the contents of the room. There was a pregnant woman with a child still inside her womb as well as fetuses at every stage of the gestation process. This part of the exhibit was nothing less than controversial for many different reasons. However, the exhibit was quick to explain (via signage) that the fetuses and pregnant woman died naturally. Regardless, actually seeing these bodies made the exhibit seem all too real in stark contrast to the rest of the exhibit. I would post images from the exhibit, but I can't quite bring myself to look them up and have to stare at them every time I visit my blog... sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment